11/23/2008

Happy Thanksgiving - Crap, I have to cook...

The anxiety is setting in. Tomorrow I have to go to the grocery store ... of course I'll forget something (I always do) and I'll have to go back on Tuesday or Wednesday which will totally piss me off. All the REALLY stupid people will be at the store then and all the stuff I need will likely be gone. Oh - that's right, I'll actually BE one of the the stupid people - we will all be there together ... we'll ALL be stupid because we'll all be the ones who forgot the crap we needed when we were at the store two days ago. Self loathing - great. I did already buy a turkey. Well, not really ... I bought a turkey breast. Does that count? It's frozen - I don't know what to do with it. Right now it's at my parents house in their freezer because it didn't fit in the freezer at our house. It will still have to go in the oven and be baked and all - not sure when to defrost it or how. I guess I need to look into that, huh? The kids want corn casserole. That's fairly easy ... I've made it before and managed to NOT screw it up. I'll also make mashed potatoes (I don't really know how but I guess I'll figure it out) and probably some kind of biscuits or rolls. No stuffing, or dressing. I just can't deal with that. I'll buy a can of cranberry sauce though - I like that with the turkey. No gravy either. I thought about making a sweet potatoe casserole but that might be one too many dishes for this cooking impaired woman to handle. I considered making a cheesecake but that's kind of expensive and the kids won't eat it and I certainly don't need to eat it and Scott loves it but doesn't want to eat it. So I will probably just make brownies ... in my super cool Baker's Edge pan (where EVERY piece is a corner piece)! I think Scott will probably help me a lot - he usually does. I get pretty angry when it comes to cooking. I just really don't like it at all. I don't know why - I wish I could find a way to enjoy it. Somehow the joy of cooking eludes me much like the joy of exercising does. Pass the Zanax please ...

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I wish I could cook your thanksgiving dinner for you. I love to cook.

you can do that sweet potato crap, get the canned sweet potatoes with the sweet sauce (or just add some brown sugar) smash them up, do it right in your baking dish. bake them at 350 till hot through. (or nuke them) then put the little marshmellows on top. It's discusting, but do it anyhow. then put them on Broil for a few minutes. you gotta watch them, as soon as the marshmellows melt take them out.

it's gross to me but people like it.

or just dont' make them.

Anonymous said...

NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THANKSGIVING DINNER WITHOUT STUFFING AND GRAVY!!! EVER HEARD OF "STOVETOP" STUFFING (EASY AS BOILING WATER) OR CANNED GRAVY??? YOU MAY JUST AS WELL LEAVE OUT THE TURKEY!!!!!!!

Of course, I should talk! I haven't used an oven in...let's say 15 years give or take a few, but even my microwavable dinners have stuffing and gravy. Geez! If you leave out these items your children may be scarred for life! Do you want that on your conscience? Good luck thawing that bird breast! And oh yes...Happy Thanksgiving!

Love
GAG

P.S. Your blog just cracks me up!